Tuesday, June 2, 2009

World's Easist Chicken Pot Pies

When I was a kid, my parents let us have Swansons pot pies (I liked the chicken ones the best) on the nights they went out. I recall them going to a lot of bridge parties when I was little. (Will bridge exist in another generation?) The best part of the pot pies was the little disposable pan that they came in. I was intrigued by those little pans and always wanted to save them long after my food was gone. Last year, my father's health declined to the point that he wasn't really able to cook for himself. So, I made a variety of entrees in single serving portions that he could simply pull out of the freezer and put into his oven.... no fuss, no muss. While preparing his menus, I decided chicken pot pies would be a good meal option - protein, carbs, and veggies all in one dish. The best part about the pot pies was I found the mini disposable pie dishes that the Swansons pot pies came in that I remembered so fondly.

When you are part of a family, some dynamics never change. For example, my family is always loud; we perpetually interrupt each other; we laugh a lot. As time passes, other dynamics have changed. Now the "kids" are the ones checking up on the parents; we check that they're getting the right care, get home safely, and have the proper food to eat. Evolution exists .... our roles change was we progress through life. Currently, my generation is responsible for our parents and our children. That's a lot of responsibility, but in the big scheme of things, that is how it should be. We're cared for, take care of others, and eventually circle back to being cared for.

The following recipe is quite a step up from the Swansons pies in terms of flavor, but just about as simple!

World's Easiest Chicken Pot Pies

Ingredients
  • 2 frozen or refrigerated pie crusts (frozen are easier because they are in the pan ready to go)
  • 1-2 packages pre-cooked chicken strips (usually in the refrigerator section with cheeses)
  • 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (no need to defrost, use them frozen)
  • 1 can cream of X (mushroom or chicken work best) soup
  • 1 soup can of milk
  • Salt and pepper, to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon of salt and 3/4 teaspoon of pepper)
  • Poultry seasoning, to taste (I use about 1/2 teaspoon-ish)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. If using frozen pie crust, allow to thaw. If using refrigerated pie crust, place lower crust in a 9-inch pie pan and set aside.
  3. Cut the pre-cooked chicken (quantity depends upon how "chickeny" you like your pot pies) into bite-size pieces.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, vegetables (again, amount depends upon how "vegetabley" you want your pot pie and how big your pie pan is), soup, milk, and seasonings. Stir well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
  5. Pour chicken/vegetable mixture into the lower pie crust. Top with second pie crust and firmly pinch the two crusts at the edge to create a seal.
  6. Cut a few vents (3-5) in the middle of the top crust for steam to escape.
  7. Bake for 30-45 minutes. If the crust begins to brown too much, lightly cover with aluminum foil until the pie's filling is hot.

2 comments:

  1. This works for a 9-inch pan, yes? (Want to make sure we're not making small Swanson-esque pies!)

    Sounds yummy. I have a similar quick pot-pie recipe I use, but this one sounds tastier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a 9-inch pan. (I updated the recipe to clarify this.) Thanks for asking! :)

    If you have any recipes to share, feel free to send them my way!!

    ReplyDelete